"Mount Hunter is a siren. Its seductive song captivated me the first time I heard it. I have thrown aside logic and maybe even reason to try to climb it. I am not alone on this bewitchment" Scott Backes

Monday, May 9, 2011

Time for some action...

It was a struggle to get out of bed this morning due to a frigid, arctic wind blowing down the glacier. The thermometer read -10 Celsius inside my tent, and I was happy to be snuggled amongst over a kilo of down feathers. Poor Dave was shivering away next door in his budget Argos excuse of a sleeping bag.
Today was a day of relaxing and sorting out climbing equipment for our planned recce mission tomorrow. The forecast is for cloud and 20mph NE winds, but we have decided to try and climb up the lower part of the face to check out conditions. We will abseil down before the forecast evening storm comes in. For Wednesday we are expecting quite heavy snowfall along with 60mph northerly winds, so will be hunkered down in camp until the weather breaks.
The long range outlook is good for the end of the week so fingers crossed!

Jon

Pic 1: Jon and Matt sorting the biggest rack this side of Yosemite

No comments:

Post a Comment