"Mount Hunter is a siren. Its seductive song captivated me the first time I heard it. I have thrown aside logic and maybe even reason to try to climb it. I am not alone on this bewitchment" Scott Backes

Monday, May 16, 2011

Spotting of the boys.......

Because of having no power last night, I was unable to update all you folks as to the progress of the boys on the North Face. It was a mighty exciting day. They where heading in the part of the route that appeared to be the most challenging... (just to the left of the shaft, just over 2/3 of the way up the face) The intention was to do another flyby but as soon as I got a call from the boys and made my way down to the landing strip the clouds moved in and spent the rest of the day on standby waiting for both the weather and a plane to be available for a flyby...this never happened which was a real shame...was just to dangerous for flying... anyway, was not able to see them for most of the day, but on returning back to the fort, I could see glimpses of them through the clouds, having dinner (alone again)doing some filming and giving my Mom a quick call back home in South Africa, I got a radio call from Matt around 10pm, really excited, had a quick chat about things. But they where still on the wall climbing and planned to crack on for a couple more hours until they reached the ice band a couple pitches above. Matt said in a super excited voice " We doing it man, we really doing it" he further went on to say that although it was going to be a long day, getting up to the ice band above would be a good motivational step for them, hence the mission....

Anyway, so far so good. Well keep you all posted.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment