"Mount Hunter is a siren. Its seductive song captivated me the first time I heard it. I have thrown aside logic and maybe even reason to try to climb it. I am not alone on this bewitchment" Scott Backes

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Height comparison

So I have been asked by Matt's dad to give him an idea as to how high this cliff really is... He seems to think he could walk up this monster of a cliff in an afternoon. He cant understand why they are taking so long. So I gave him some homework to find out how high a well known landmark is.... He came back with Nelson Column which is 51.5 meters. So I have overlayed that with the cliff to give you all an idea. Basically, where we walked up to the very base of the mountain before using skis where impractical and where we had to use crampons... It is some 80meters or so before you hit the ice above.... so think my Drawing of Lord Nelson "aka Jon on a stick" ...does do justice to the distance.... The top of the cliff is 1400 meters heigh.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment