"Mount Hunter is a siren. Its seductive song captivated me the first time I heard it. I have thrown aside logic and maybe even reason to try to climb it. I am not alone on this bewitchment" Scott Backes

Monday, May 16, 2011

GOOD NEWS from the boys!

Matt:" Do you recieve over"
David: "Hi Matt, yes I can hear you, whats going on, on your side"
Matt: "I thought you said their was no forcast for Precipitation"

It seems like Matt had just had about half a ton of fresh snow avalanche over him of which most of it he swallowed.

But otherwise, I have just had a fantastically informative and entertaining long radio call. Tonight is the first night that they have not been climbing for ages or totally knackered. It is about 9pm and they are all snug in the porta-ledge cooking up a storm. I was asked what I was eating for dinner...Rotelle Pasta with fried up onions and garlic, tinned peas, tinned beans, tinned carrots, tinned tuna and some tomato sauce sprinkled all over stuff with cheese..BASTARD! Matt shouts over the radio... he says they would do anything for a bowl of that right now... I suspect that both Matt and Jon are sick of their chicken Pot pie bagged boil meals.. Seems like Matt even drew the short straw as Jon also had mash with his pot pie...."Bastard!" I hear again! "How come I dont have mash with my pot pie" Jon laughing in the back ground.

So it seems like tonight has been the best place for pitching their porta-ledge... it is actually hanging tonight rather than being on a slight slope like the previous nights. Apparently they where all shitting themseleves last night, or should I rather say this morning when they actually got to sleep. It seems like their porta-ledge collapsed on them and totally sandwiching them amoungst the straps. They could hardly move to see what was going on and they where wondering if their anchor points had bailed on them and they where about to plumet to the bottom of the mountain.... Well it all seems to be ok, they made it through the night and are now based one pitch below the 3rd Ice band.

It has been snowing a great deal over the past 6 hours and winds are forcast for 35mph tomorrow... so will see how they get on with making it to the cornise or to the summit... all dependent on wind and snow and temperature... you get the picture...

Anyway, on reserve battery now so no time for spell checks.... apologies

David

No comments:

Post a Comment